Thursday, March 17, 2011

I Sit and Look Out by Walt Whitman

I sit and look out upon all the sorrows of the world, and upon all
   oppression and shame,
I hear secret convulsive sobs from young men at anguish with
   themselves, remorseful after deeds done,
I see in low life the mother misused by her children, dying,
   neglected, gaunt, desperate,
I see the wife misused by her husband, I see the treacherous seducer
   of young women,
I mark the ranklings of jealousy and unrequited love attempted to be
   hid, I see these sights on the earth,
I see the workings of battle, pestilence, tyranny, I see martyrs and
   prisoners,
I observe a famine at sea, I observe the sailors casting lots who
   shall be kill'd to preserve the lives of the rest,
I observe the slights and degradations cast by arrogant persons upon
   laborers, the poor, and upon negroes, and the like;
All these--all the meanness and agony without end I sitting look out upon,
See, hear, and am silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment