Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Funny Things My Students Say

I am a piano teacher, and teach a wide range of students ranging in age from 4-89. Here are a sampling of the gems I regularly hear:

"I'm allergic to stickers."
-The response I got when I asked a 4 yo student why he didn't want his weekly sticker.

"Teacher, Can I count your teeth?"
"Uh, no."
"Why?'
"Because I have a mint in my mouth" - also because that's kind of gross, but I didn't tell him that
"I really want a mint too, but my mommy says only girls can have mints."
- Ian, age 4

"I really like to play 'slurbs' because they look like swords or smiley faces. Also because 'slurb' is a funny word."
- Powell, an imaginative 6 year old, the day we learned to play slurs.

And finally a gem from my 89 yo student:
"It's a good thing you went into music and not art, because I have no idea what you are trying to draw."
-reaffirming my career choice after I tried to draw a pair of eyes on the score to remind him to look carefully at the notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment