I am so excited to be participating in the fall edition of the Pinterest Challenge (created by Katie Bower and YoungHouseLove)! Seriously I pin waaay more things than I create, so I knew this was my chance to knock out one of my pending projects!
But which one to choose? It was a tough call, because I want to do all the projects I pinned...but I decided on making ornaments! Those who know me know that I have a major thing for ornaments - every single one on the tree has to have a story attached to it. Oh, that wooden bear ornament? Yeah, it reminds us of our trip to Hetch Hetchy - the time we accidentally set up camp in the middle of a bear feeding ground. Sea turtle? Bought on Christmas day on our honeymoon in Maui. Sparkly car? Reminds us of the year we had to repair our cars (as in engines, transmissions, major stuff) eight. times.
For this challenge I was inspired by these gorgeous ornaments made by Alyssa Ruklic
(found on her board here)
As soon as I saw these I was in love! I asked her how she achieved the affect. She told me by putting the paint inside drop by drop, swirling, and tapping the sides to encourage the streaking affect. I knew this was the project for me to try :)
I decided to base my palette off this painting I posted back in September:
(original post with link to the artist here)
My equipment: glass ornaments and Americana acrylic paint
This pic is blurry, but if you kind of squint you can see the cool marbling affect that happens inside the ornament as you swirl. Sadly this isn't visible once the bulb is finished.
I wasn't sure if I needed to let them dry, so I let them rest for an hour, nervously checking back every few minutes to make sure the paint was sticking. They were fine :)
This one was my first - yellow, gray and white.
The other side has more marbling and less streaking.
My second ornament used all four colors - gray, yellow, white and purple. This ornament is my favorite because it has two distinct pattern variations depending on how you look at it. The subtle purple side:
The bolder side:
Finally I tried a purple, white and gray variation. I was impatient on this one so I'm only going to show you the good side:
And there they are! This was such an easy and rewarding project. It only took about 10-15 minutes per ornament (I'm sure it would be faster once I felt more confident too) and the effect is so gorgeous. It really does remind me of the type of modern art pieces I love.
I am off to buy some more paint colors so I can try more variations - and maybe if I'm patient I can get mine to look more like Alyssa's :)